like a girl - alex anne

25.9.15


According to Facebook, Alex and I have been friends since February of 2013 (although it certainly feels longer than that). It has been so cool to "grow together" in our business, creative pursuits and lives over the last however many years. This lovely lady is crazy talented, just as kind and a creative firecracker. I'm so excited to see where she goes with her dreams.

Tell us about yourself.
I am a young creative based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I photograph, I letter, I design. (I just like creating.) This year I made the (very scary but also very exciting) decision to take time off from school to pursue my creative passions. At the moment, I’m delving deeper into my photography business and working part time at communications and graphic design firm, while simultaneously working to launch a creative services business in the next few months. A lot going on, but all good things, I promise.

What do you do?
That’s a good question. I’m in this weird limbo, transitioning from being a full-time student, part-time wedding and portrait photographer to being a full-time creative and business woman. Suddenly I don’t feel confined to the world of photography. And that is both a wonderful and terrifying thing. Because I’m realizing that there are a lot of things I want to do and create in this life. So (to answer the question) right now I am focusing my talents on wedding, portrait, and commercial photography, graphic design, and social media strategy. We’ll see where this year takes me!

Do you have a dream collaboration?
I am a really big fan of Emmadime’s work. I don’t know what a collaboration would look like with her, but I do imagine it would involve a lot of fun and weird lettering/illustration work. I also love what Target and Nike and other big corporations are doing with smaller artists. I think it would be awesome to have an opportunity to create something with either of them.

Who are some women that inspire you?
My mom and my boss. Both are wise, strong, empowering women. I learn from them every day.

Most helpful piece of advice someone has given you?
Don’t live a comfortable life. I think we all ultimately desire a life of ease, but that’s not where creativity happens. That’s not where growth happens. And that’s surely not what I’m called to.

What are you passionate about?
Two things: making things and encouraging people.

Have there being challenges you faced because you’re a woman? If so, how did you overcome them?
Fortunately, not many. I faced more sexism than I ever had before when I worked as a server this summer. There’s a lot of it in the food industry. But I was able to walk away with a higher appreciation for the work that women do, and a desire to celebrate that. Especially going in to starting my own business as a young woman. I need encouragement and affirmation just as much as the next woman, and I want to be someone who can love on and build up the girls in this world!

What is something you wish you had been told you about running a business?
It’s really hard to get out of bed when you work from home.

Alex Anne

A tall, Midwesterner who is a little too in love with the Minneapolis coffee scene. Her ideal day would start around 7 and would immediately continue on the road (big fan of road trips here), accompanied by a donut or two, an iced latte, and her forever changing seasonal spotify playlist.

blog / instagram / website


*all images used with permission. portraits of alex taken by hannah nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

< > Home